AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

which of the S gleaners would you buy?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

JarrodACFan
Posted 9/2/2018 22:30 (#6966195 - in reply to #6965819)
Subject: RE: which of the S gleaners would you buy?

Delaware County, IN
Disclaimer: I am not a dealer, just a farmer that likes following the Gleaner combines. This is from memory, so I may be off on some of it. We currently run a 2014 S67.

2011-2014: Sx7 Series (S67 & S77)- The first number in the model designates the size and the second number is the series. These are the first "super series" combines. All of these are pretty good, but as with any new model, the first couple years could have a few more problems than the 2013-2014 models, but most of these should have been fixed by now. The 2011-2012 models have the "old style" C2000 monitor in the cab, which is a bit less user friendly than the newer C3000 (2013-2016), which I prefer. All of the Sx7 series (2011-2014) have Tier 4 emissions, with DPF and DEF. They do not have EGR, so it is basically a tier 2 engine with aftertreatment. The longevity of the actual engine shouldn't be affected as much as something with EGR. Both the S67 and S77 have the 6 cylinder Sisu, which has proved very reliable. The rotor gearbox is similar to what is on the late R series. These would not have the upgraded rear feed chain drum and floor, but that hasn't been a problem as far as we can tell. These came from the factory with rubber accelerator rolls, which should have been replaced with bright orange poly ones by now, or they should be.

2014-2016: Sx8 Series (S68, S78, S88)- The Sx8 series brought a few updates, with the rear feed floor being lowered and the drum being raised to improve rotor feeding. These have the new rotor gearbox, which has some different gear ratios. Our dealer said they are having a bit more trouble with these than the old ones. These should have been standard from the factory with the poly accelerator rolls. This is the first time Gleaner has had a Class 8 Transverse, so if you are looking for a class 8, this would be your first opportunity for one of those. The Sx8 series is Tier 4 Final, so it has EGR in addition to DPF and DEF. In the Sx8's there are 2 different engines, the old 6 cylinder in the S68, and the new 7-cylinder in the S78 and S88, which has mixed reviews depending on who you talk to.

2016-current: S9x Series (S96, S97, S98)- Yes, they screwed up the model numbers on these. Now the first number is the series and the second number is the size. These are mechanically very similar to the Sx8 series, with the one main difference being the 4-inch longer feederhouse. The big change is the new cab and controls. These have the newest Fendt cab with the latest tech. It is all drive-by-wire now, with the gearshift and parking brake now controlled electronically.

Now that you know some of the differences, you can evaluate what you want. Virtually anything mechanical on the S9x series can be moved back to the Sx7 series if needed. Many things should have been updated on warranty from Agco and be more like the newer ones. If I were buying one, I'd look for a 2013-2014 Sx7 series. They don't have EGR, have the new monitor, and can be updated with basically anything from the newer ones. There aren't really any "bad" S-series combines to stay away from, but the Sx7 ones "may" be the best.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)