AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

apps for farming?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/26/2018 08:53 (#6950944 - in reply to #6950726)
Subject: RE: apps for farming?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I don't have any apps that are specific to farming but I do use some of the regular apps for farming situations.

I have a weather station app that allows me to check on rainfall and other conditions from my neighbors who have those weather stations.

I use the built in camera app in many ways. I often take pictures of a broken part or a serial number tag so I have the picture with me when I go after parts. When I worked as a Tech, it was very handy when the delivery person (wife, dad, whoever) had a picture of the part or problem. The camera can be used as a magnifying glass as well. Take a picture and enlarge it to see the small print.

The flashlight app has also proven to be quite handy at times as well.

I have a garage door opener app on my phone. This allows the phone to be used as a remote to open/close various doors such as the garage, shop and storage buildings. A small bluetooth receiver is mounted at each location. The app allows me to choose which door I want to work with. This is more convenient than having a garage door remote in each vehicle for each location since I usually have the phone with me and keep it charged. My great nephew has the app on his phone also so he can open my doors with his phone. This is very handy if you have several people with smartphones who need access to one or several doors. Each bluetooth receiver needs to be paired with the app in each phone so there is some security. The bluetooth receiver is about $50 and one is needed for each opener but beyond that there is not other charge.

We also have a camera in the dryer shack pointed at the dryer display. It is wired to a WiFi extender which communicates to a router in my great nephew's house wirelessly. The camera company provides an app for both Android and IOS devices that allow us to view the dryer panel anywhere we can get Internet access. This is very handy as we can check the dryer status from the field or most anywhere.

I also use the Reminder app to take notes.

Not farming at all but I have my alarm app set to remind me to "take my pills" at 8 AM and 8 PM each day. It sets off a custom ringtone in my own voice that says "Ted take your pills". This usually brings out a smile when it goes off in a crowd
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)