AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Mediterranean diet
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

martin
Posted 8/24/2018 15:37 (#6947979 - in reply to #6947916)
Subject: RE: Mediterranean diet

Does your doctor have you checking your blood sugar levels with a home test kit?  I am guessing that he is wanting you to do that.  My doctor asked me to get a test kit.  He also asked me to check various times during the day.  I am not sure that plan really does what is best for me.  It gives my doctor some good information, but I don't know how usable it is for me.  Here's a thought, if you are checking your blood sugar levels:  measure your blood sugar levels 2 hours after you eat a meal.  Say, for a week, check your blood sugar after dinner/supper.  Track what you ate, and what happened to your blood sugar.  You may find there are some meal plans that spike your blood sugar more than others.  If you find that a particular meal plan tends to give you higher sugar levels, then figure out what is in that meal that is spiking it.  And modify your menu accordingly.  Do the same for a week after each breakfast. And do the same for a week after each lunch/dinner.  Use this to help give you feedback what works for you meal-wise, and what you need to change.

I know you said you are a meat-and-potatoes person. Personally, I have found that potatoes tend to spike my blood sugar, so I don't buy and eat potatoes.  I like potatoes. I especially like potato chips. But I have given up buying potatoes and potato chips, if that helps with my blood sugar. 

If you check after eating, I suspect you will find certain foods you eat are causing your biggest blood sugar spikes. If you have this feedback, it might help you to determine to scale these foods back, or give them up - except for maybe special occasions. Just a thought I had.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)