AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Boiled peanuts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

David
Posted 8/22/2018 15:48 (#6943954 - in reply to #6940436)
Subject: RE: Boiled peanuts

We always put up about 12 to 15 gallons every year. We pressure cook them in quart jars and end up with 100 quarts or so to get us through the year. I can always eat a gallon or two at a sitting and won’t quit until the bucket is empty.

There is no need to soak them before you actually boil them. If maturity is 140 days, I like to pull them up at 120 days so they don’t get too mature. The worst thing is to let them get real mature.

If they are really mature, it takes longer to boil them. Most people probably don’t like boiled peanuts because they have been soaking for way too long and get heated and reheated and heated and reheated way too much. They become mush, soggy, and nasty. Also, when you use Spanish or Valencia varieties instead of runner varieties, they taste too much like dirt to me. A typical runner variety is smaller but much better IMO.

When canning, we add water and salt to each jar, fill with peanuts and pressure cook for 30 minutes. If we just do them in an open pot, we add water, lots of salt and boil for 2 hours or so. You can over boil them. I like them to get soft and then just let them sit in the salt water until flavored good.

Again, I can eat them until I am about to pop. And then I eat some more.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)