AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New dairy barn construction pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Gerard
Posted 8/18/2018 12:22 (#6936117 - in reply to #6936004)
Subject: Answers

Woodham, Ontario
michiganmilkman,
According to most advisers we have talked to, feed cost is always higher with robots since you need to use pellets to attract cows. We don't use any pellets, we buy all our soymeal, canola meal, DDGs and minerals by the truckload. We also aim for high quality forages. Also with robots you are always milking. Now we still have some down time. Labor has it's issues, but manageable. I think in the future we may add automation to the rotary parlor. Technology is getting better all the time. The focus of this parlor, milk house and barn is to make it a very nice, comfortable place to work.

Jay NE Ohio
We started in Nov 2017 with moving clay to dig the pit and level the barn site. Hope to be milking in November of this year.

FarmerboyRoy
I don't think those pits can be converted into a digester. Lagoons have been banned here a long time ago. I applied for a contract for a digester last year and the power company (Hydro One) said there was no capacity to support a digester. We paid to upgrade the lines and bring in 3phase since then. It would be possible to add one, but there are no good contracts available anymore. Not sure I want the headache of running one...

Dave9110
Both sides of my family have been milking cows for generations, we have always had some hired help. My brother, my wife and I manage this dairy and my brother in law and my sister manage the other dairy. My parents own the majority, but we are going through succession. We all have young kids under age 9. There will be lots of opportunity for them.

MaybeSomedayFarm
https://www.facebook.com/StonecreekFarms/
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)