AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Baling oats straw. ???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/17/2018 07:26 (#6933936 - in reply to #6933815)
Subject: RE: Baling oats straw. ???

southern MN
Yea, neighbor followed my behind the combine one year baling. He said later he wishes he had bagged it, it was wet enough it would have made feed.

I swath, in the humidity here the straw and green stuff doesn't dry so much, the seed heads do. With the bigger combines than dads JD45, I can hammer some wet straw through the combine, it needs to lay 2-4 days before baling, if it rains it rains it will dry quicker after going through the combine.

Just had a couple acres I swathed on Friday, had 1/4 of rain two days later, high humidity, checked it Tuesday forenoon and heads were dry but windrow was wet. Saw the rain build and head this way through the afternoon, got the combine out and hammered it through the combine.... grain was dry, had to drive slow to get it through the machine. Been a very light rain every day since, more coming on the weekend, will be a while til I get to that straw. Glad the combining is done.

My combine is still conventional, I understand rotaries chew up the straw to different degrees and that can make some differences in how things are done.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)