AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My MOWER may have died
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Cat33
Posted 8/17/2018 05:58 (#6933802 - in reply to #6933481)
Subject: RE: My MOWER may have died

NE SD
Tomcat - 8/16/2018 21:24

Jbatmick - 8/16/2018 19:52

I have found that over the years, it is cheaper to hire a lawn service to keep my yard up. Time you buy a several thousand $$$ mower,risk having it stolen, have it serviced every year,get gas, buy blades,have it break down just when you need it, and spend the time doing it, easier to pay and have it done. Around here, there are so many folks offering to do it cheaply, the best thing to do.
That having been said, before I junked it,I would get a mower shop to look at it.They might also have a used one cheap, it is getting close to the end of mowing season.

Huh? Please show your math!

I bought a midrange zero turn 10 years ago. Other than blades, a couple batteries, a clutch, and a few odds and ends that’s it. If the mower had zero value today let’s say it costs me $400 a year. I couldn’t hire someone for a year for $400. Doubt the lawn service will be geeked about the 5/8 mile trail to my deer blind. I doubt the lawn service will use their $9000 Exmark, Super Duty and trailer, plus the operator for less.

I'm with Tomcat. If you take care of it, you will cut down on your breakdowns. Every time fter I finish, I take the air compressor to it and blow out all the nooks and crannies, scrape under the deck with a putty knife, grease and gas and change oil more than once every 4 years (if they every do) like most people. Other than blades, gas, and a battery every so often there is very little upkeep.

On the other hand, if you are one of the people who hops on and cranks it up and when done just goes and parks it until next time, you're going to have problems. See it ALLLLLLLLLLL the time when half the people I know bring their POS to my dad to fix twice a year because either they didn't grease it and a bearing or 3 went out, ran into a tree, or any variety of carb problems, etc. Then he spends half a day cleaning all the moldy rotten grass that has stuck to it since the last time he cleaned it before even getting to the actual problem.

Back to the OP, if health problems or age, hire it done for that small of an area.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)