AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Give that family member a call...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 8/16/2018 19:36 (#6933244 - in reply to #6933000)
Subject: RE: Give that family member a call...

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

GM Guy - 8/16/2018 17:02 ...because you may not ever talk to them again. My grandmother passed about an hour ago. I hadn't talked to her for a week or two, figuring with Mom and dad staying with her for harvest she didnt need me bugging her as well (she appreciated her alone time), and its been quite a few months since I have made it out to Idaho for a visit. Luckily the last visit was pleasant, as was the last phone call, I just regret not talking to her this week, and not seeing her this summer. Mom and Dad were out with her, and had just taken her to the fair today after finishing harvest yesterday (thankfully the fair is one of her yearly highlights, possibly in the top 5 list of favorite things) , and she had a big lunch, went for a walk, then came in and went to the bathroom, and that was all she wrote. I can't imagine what mom and dad are going through though, as they tried to resuscitate her, and when the paramedics showed up, Dad had to make the call whether to try to bring her back, or let her go. She was very anti-doctor, anti-hospital, anti-nursing home, and had said "no heroics" when the time came. Even if they could have saved her, had there been any loss of brain or body function, it would have killed her spirit, as she has always been "busy busy" her whole life, so I feel Dad respected her wishes. She was the last remaining grandparent, both on my mothers side were gone before I was born (I was born in 1990), and my grandfather on dad's side passed in 2002, so grandma has been alone for a while, but is hopefully reunited with grandpa now. She had a full life, not many make it into their 90s and can still drive to town for groceries, tend to her flower bed, and feed her kitties. RIP Grandma.

As a Grandma (Granny, actually) myself, I can't think of anything better. Family with her for some time together, a trip to the Fair, nice lunch and there's the Light. It's very, very hard on those who loved her, but from her standpoint, especially as independent as you portray her to be, I doubt she'd have chosen a better last day if given a choice. Prayers for your peace and comfort, and as you say, RIP Grandma. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)