AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Going to Mt. Rushmore
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Suey
Posted 8/16/2018 16:57 (#6932989 - in reply to #6932887)
Subject: RE: Going to Mt. Rushmore

WCIL

Stop at the first  rest stop/welcome stop when you get to South Dakota.   The people there were FANTASTIC.    We were only in the  Custer Area for 2.5 days.   Go to Mount Rushmore  first thing in the morning.  The road was almost deserted on the way there.  Kept wondering if we were on the right road.   Got right in and parked.  Really was amazing the difference in the crowd in just an hour.   We went to the museum came out and WOW,  the crowd  probably tripled. !   One idiot woman,  she didn't speak English,  was at the MAIN entrance  trying to get a picture of her DOG  with Rushmore in the background.   Must have been 50 people walking by  while she tried for the  perfect picture.   Also,  go to the South Dakota tourist website and get a tourist guide sent to you ASAP.  Really good info. 

Personally... Don't go to Wall Drug... what a tourist trap!   Drive by and see what I mean.    We didn't have time for the "black hills,  deadwood or other things.   There was a neat dinner theater across from out hotel.   Wish we had known about it and tried it one night. 

What we saw:   Elkhorn, IA   Danish windmill.  Danish Museum,  Little Mermaid statue.  Great Tenderloins.

Dignity statue at the Missouri River on I90... you can't miss it.

Minuteman Missile Silo  education center  Again  right off  I90  Nice educational center and video.   If you want you can visit a control center and abandoned silo.

Custer state park.. Needles highway and Wildlife  tour.  I have video of 5 Buffalo walking right in front of our car.  Your eyes get pretty big.   (There's a park center with a nice video  narrated by Kevin Costner before doing the tours. 

Crazy Horse  Night laser show was okay.  Our hotel was only 5 miles away they give you a ticket so you can come back in the evening. 

Mount Rushmore. 

Hot Springs  Manmouth  Fossil site.

We stayed in Custer.   Sure seemed less hectic than Hill City.   Never went to Keystone.    Make certain your Brakes work.   Lots of hills/mountains and curves.

Then came home on Highway 20 through the Sandhills of Nebraska.   Great Road,  Millions of acres of pastures.  Really different than  the I states.   Make certain you watch the gas gauge.  Long ways between towns. 

The other thing we did was meet an online  women in Ag  Friend in Mitchell, SD.  She and her husband took us out for  drive around Mitchell.  We talked  SD  agriculture and saw the countryside on the back roads.   Plus,  we went out to eat at a little bar with great food.    We had Never met in person.   But,  she looked just like her Facebook pictures.  It was a GREAT  3 hours! 

I'm meeting my college friends in LaClaire, IA  tomorrow.   We have reservations for a Riverboat cruise on Sat. Afternoon.   I'll let you know. 

If you have kids  see the Omaha Zoo.   Nothing but great reviews.   LaClaire, IA  is the home to the American Pickers,   Moline, IL  is John Deere.  One thing we like to do if we aren't rushed is read the roadside  Historical Plaques.  Lots of little tidbits of information about the history. 

Have Fun! 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)