AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What sideline businesses or jobs do you have?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

barren
Posted 8/16/2018 09:49 (#6932360 - in reply to #6931933)
Subject: RE: What sideline businesses or jobs do you have?

Glasgow, Ky
It sounds like you have a good public job and I would think the pay and benefits are good. That being said the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence. The reality of being your own boss is many times not what we envision. The weather, markets and financial problems can take the fun outof thingsreal quick. If you have sideline business you might have customers who are about like a boss.
I farmed full time for several years and then took a public job and became a part time farmer. It was hard to do but wound up being one of the best things I ever did. I started out as hourly but went company a few months later. Started as production supervisor, then production scheduler and finished up as manager in production and warehousing. My hourly job bored me but the company jobs were a challenge and more fulfilling. It also allowed me to flex my hours more which worked great with my farming.

In closing, look at developing the skills you have and possibly moving into a management job. Possibly get into machine shop work or other specialized work. Instead of being a victim to your circumstances be proactive and make yourself a more valuable asset to a company or for yourself. Get out of your rut and get a new perspective on things. Sounds like you have a lot going for you. I used my public job income to buy land which gave me a better attitude about my public job. Wish you the best whatever you decide.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)