AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4240, 4440 and IH 986, 1086
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Hereford Guy
Posted 8/12/2018 18:33 (#6926317 - in reply to #6926202)
Subject: RE: JD 4240, 4440 and IH 986, 1086

Interesting post. I was pretty young and formed my earliest memories in the late 1970's so my view may be a little different. I remember one of our neighbor's, they must have been pushing 80 then, and they still farmed a quarter section. They had a handful of beef cows, a small ewe flock, bee boxes, chickens. They were genuine people. He ran a couple old tractors, I seem to remember a Deere of the 620/720 style. I can't really remember any neighbors that didn't have any livestock although we did have some friends that didn't by then, but that was a recent development for them. I can't say I really remember any 4-wheel drive tractors around our neighborhood and a 12 row planter would have been big. Common combines were 6600 Deere's and 815 IH's, soon to be replaced by 7720 and 1460 style machines. I remember all the guys cultivating what seemed like all summer and walking soybeans after that. Black nightshade was a real problem back then, probably the equivalent of tall waterhemp now. A lot of those tractors, as has already been said, hung around all through the 80's and into the 90's due to the high interest rates and the farm recession. I remember all the farmer feedlots disappeared from around home at that time. Tillage practices would be another big change. Everything possible worked in the fall back then, cornstalks moldboarded most likely, bean stubble chiseled. Those 1086/4440 models were the big horse on many farms then. Lots different than now.

Edited by Hereford Guy 8/12/2018 18:39
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)