AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Is the AMP connector the industry standard?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

nwksmilo
Posted 8/12/2018 06:27 (#6925018 - in reply to #6922358)
Subject: RE: Is the AMP connector the industry standard?

Colby, KS

The AMP style connector seems to be the most prevalent.  That type is called a "Type XII"  I set all my machines up with them and it has proven to be a useful setup through the years as implements and consoles of have come and gone.  The terminals require a f-type open barrel crimp and have their own special tool to extract them from the housing that is $$$ but lasts a lifetime.

The major advantage of that AMP connector over the JD powerstrip style is the amperage load it can handle.  You can get the terminals for up to 10AWG wire and the contact are rated to 40 amps if I remember right.    That may or may not be important to you, but the higher load ability is nice for running 12 volt pumps and fans in the future without having to run another circuit to the battery.  I built my own power strips wired up with 8 gauge on it's own breaker to the battery.   Have never had a problem and have several of my setups that are used every minute the machine has run and have had them installed for over 3000 hours.

Correctly installed one of the vertical terminals is hot all the time, the other is hot with the key switch and the horizonal is ground. 

Edited by nwksmilo 8/12/2018 06:40
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)