AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Will ndvi pick up cows in tasseled corn ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 8/7/2018 10:20 (#6916252 - in reply to #6850582)
Subject: RE: Will ndvi pick up cows in tasseled corn ?

southern MN
Well, I just had opportunity to test this theory.

Critter broke out of the barn yesterday, wasn't part of the herd so it was not interested in joining the herd, as most escapees are after a few hours of freedom they come back to the fence and look at their pals.

I felt it would be in a small three acre corn field from the tracks, but who knows...

Took the drone, and that field is infested with deer so there are many trampled holes, flew over it at 200 and 75 feet, camera straight down. Regular camera.

Viewed the video on the good computer screen, had to watch it twice before I spotted the back of the critter in the corn rows. Ah ha!

Walked out there and was 4 rows away before it moved and I noticed it.

Anyhow, bottom line, the drone sure helped me, but it is not at all easy to spot the critters in the tall corn, it would be very hard to cover whole farms searching. You could see evidence of where they have been when they lay down in the corn and might get lucky and see where they were, but if they are on the move by the time you view it on a big screen computer they probably are somewhere else. But it worked in my case with limited parameters. Would be worth a try.

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)