AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I give up, or the heck with it.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Chris
Posted 7/2/2018 08:33 (#6845814)
Subject: I give up, or the heck with it.

East central Iowa

In roughly 40 years of computer work this one is going back without fixing.  I've tried multiple times and applied multiple "fixes" to get this computer to update.  All without success and the last one sort of updated but no programs were accessible, no pictures, no files.  And before I lose everything they have I'm calling it a day.  

I was fortunate in being able to roll back to the previous version EVEN though it said it couldn't.  I just got lucky maybe.

I was able to ctrl+alt+del and get to the task manager and sign out.  Then when the sign in screen came up I clicked on the lower right corner and there appeared the option to shutdown or restart.  I held down the shift key and clicked on restart.  Then got to troubleshoot and rollback.  

I found this site that tells how to overcome the failure of Microsoft to update but I've had it.
https://www.wintips.org/fix-windows-10-update-1803-fails-to-install/

I don't want to take a chance.  I ran a scan that took hours looking for a virus.  Her computer only has 61.3 GB used and it should have scanned a lot quicker.  (AVG) I think the fix might be to wipe the drive and reinstall windows.  I didn't discover if she had a windows 7 machine that had been updated and asking probably wouldn't have resulted in any information anyway.  Lot's of people have no idea what they have and then there's children, grandchildren,nieces, nephews, cousins and other expert relatives that all come to help over the years.

Thank you to those who offered suggestions.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)