AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

One big cart vs two normal carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 6/23/2018 13:46 (#6829540)
Subject: One big cart vs two normal carts

Will be renting a second combine this fall making it two 12-row machines. Yield potential in dryland corn is currently 160 plus but depending on weather 85 or less is very much in the cards. I will be happy with anything over 100.

Most fields will have passes at least 2340' long. Some fields will have passes 4,950' long.

So one round with the combines and a yield of 125 bu/acre will be 1700 bushels. Would basically need a 2,000 bushel cart to hold one round with both combines on the biggest fields with great yields. This would enable to cart to travel the least distance to the grain bagger which would result in the combines sitting for the least amount of time.

More normal fields would mean 1611 bushels in two rounds with the combines.

It's too bad when your biggest fields are the least efficient for the combine because of how much they have to wait for the cart.

Currently have an 1100 bushel cart. Can easily hold one round for two combines on the normal fields but cart will end up full at the far end of the field on the big fields so really would need two carts to keep both combines running a high percentage of the time.

If I buy another cart I need to buy another tractor and hire another person. Almost seems better to trade the 1100 bushel cart on a really big cart. I don't like compaction but I suspect a huge cart on tracks or two/three axles worth of big tires will be the same or less compaction than my 1100 cart on walking tandems.

Tractor is a Steiger 400 so I think I would be alright for our normal dry harvest conditions.

Anyone choose one really big cart over two normal sized ones and been happy with the choice? I still think the combines would sit on long fields but when the cart gets full close to the grain bag loader they would not wait nearly as much as they would with a smaller cart getting full at the wrong end of the field.

How do big carts on tracks or with 2 or 3 axles do going over terraces?

Any other thoughts to consider?

Thanks.

Edited by dpilot83 6/23/2018 14:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)