AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clipping, raking, bale moisture sensor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/19/2018 10:37 (#6821462)
Subject: Clipping, raking, bale moisture sensor

Driftless SW Wisconsin

It's been a very busy time trying to make hay with all the scattered rains coming through. Also clipped the bull pasture.

I have an 8 acre + woods pasture where my Fleckvieh bull and a steer buddy have spent the winter that was going to seed and needed to be clipped.  With the Fleck bull's and my Hereford steer's eyeset there is no sign of eye problems yet but no sense asking for trouble. I will also be using this as a breeding pasture later so want to clip to get more vegetative growth. I would have liked to bale this but large round bales with manure scattered through the middle don't make good feed...BTDT. This flail mower does a good job of not leaving windrows.

Raking some heavy clover based hay I finally found a 10-wheel rake setting that will take (3) 10 ft narrow windrows in one pass. Tough to get this stuff dry.

In a recent NAT hay thread someone recommended an Agratronix baler moisture sensor. I am tired of baling too wet hay and bought and installed this BHT-1 sensor from Nasco. It is a very simple device and seems to work well within the under about 40% range. It is interesting to watch the moisture change from one spot in the field to another, also as the dew builds in the evening. Thanks to whoever recommended this sensor. I'll add a pic of where the pickup is installed as the original instructions were not very clear.

(IMG098 Clipping bull pasture 061518 (full).jpg)

(IMG023 raking mixed clover hay 061718 (full).jpg)

(IMG025 raking mixed clover hay 061718 (full).jpg)

(IMG028 Baling mixed grass alfalfa hay with new baler moisture sensor 061718 (full).jpg)

(IMG057 Baler moisture sensor pickup installation (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG098 Clipping bull pasture 061518 (full).jpg (133KB - 75 downloads)
Attachments IMG023 raking mixed clover hay 061718 (full).jpg (153KB - 86 downloads)
Attachments IMG025 raking mixed clover hay 061718 (full).jpg (129KB - 85 downloads)
Attachments IMG028 Baling mixed grass alfalfa hay with new baler moisture sensor 061718 (full).jpg (50KB - 88 downloads)
Attachments IMG057 Baler moisture sensor pickup installation (full).jpg (36KB - 81 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)