AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Downloading photos
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 6/23/2018 07:30 (#6828905 - in reply to #6820347)
Subject: RE: Downloading photos

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
franko - 6/18/2018 09:05

Have just completed the Silk Road from Beijing to Istanbul, 7 weeks, and a truly fantastic trip
I want to download the photos from my iPhone (over 2000) and wife's digital camera
Want all the photos together in date order and the location tag if they have one (from the phone)
Can I do this in Windows Photos ? I doubt it
Not keen on Picassa
Any advise welcome, thanks

I've gotten into a couple of project like this but not quite the quantity of pictures. One of my projects concerned pictures that I took myself with a digital camera when I visited Australia and New Zealand some years ago. I took all these pictures myself with a standalone digital camera (no smartphone at the time). I downloaded all these pictures to a folder on the hard drive of my PC computer. Since they were all from the same device they were stored in the order that they were taken by the naming scheme used by the camera.

I burned a copy of this folder to a CD so I had a permanent copy of the raw pictures. Then as time permitted and before my memory faded, I used a piece of software and added a descriptive caption to most of the pictures. Usually there was a place towards the top or bottom of the picture where I could add the caption without blocking much of the picture. After this was completed, I burned a CD of these modified pictures.

Another project was given to me by a friend who had gone on a motorcycle trip from the lower 48 to Alaska a couple of summer's ago. He asked me to compile pictures that were taken by members of the group into a single organized file that would be suitable for a "Slide Show" presentation. The pictures came from a smartphone, an older digital camera and a newer digital camera. I thought this shouldn't be too tough but found that the files from one individual had been "run through" some software already which had attempted to put them in some type of order and and sorted them into subfolders by date. The friend had used his wife's older digital camera for fear of losing the good one on the bike trip. He didn't realize that it was set for low resolution pictures to save storage space. The dates on one of the camera's was incorrect. The times on the cameras and smartphone created other confusion as the smartphone changed time zones automatically whereas one camera continued on based on the times zones from home.

I finally got it put together which was very time consuming. Since I wasn't on the trip I didn't know the locations that well although I have been to Alaska myself. The pictures were fairly repetitive as there would be a picture from the smartphone of the motorcycles and riders in front of a sign. There would be a very similar picture of the same motorcycles and sign from each of the other cameras. In other words there were lots of pictures of motorcycles.

Your project of melding the two sources should go better. Although it was a fair amount of work, I do appreciate the fact that I took the time to add the captions to the Australia trip

Edited by tedbear 6/23/2018 07:43

(IMG_0175[1] (full).JPG)

(DSCN0496 copy (full).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_0175[1] (full).JPG (222KB - 204 downloads)
Attachments DSCN0496 copy (full).jpg (113KB - 193 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)