AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Straight sections of interstate highways??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 6/20/2018 05:40 (#6822961 - in reply to #6821823)
Subject: RE: Straight sections of interstate highways??

Chebanse, IL.....

I agree that it is feasible to land something on interstates.....once. But why repeatedly? It would make more sense to use the big city airports presently in existence wouldn't it? Not all could handle bomber loads, but some could. As far as "bombers", there are a lot of bomb carrying planes besides B52s. F15, F16, F18, A10, etc etc. Most of them could fly off your local 6000' plus, municipal airport assuming it's somewhat modernized with reinforced taxiways & ramps. If you're landing 90-100 passenger jets, then you're modernized. Even smaller municipal airports could be used in many conditions. Those airports are eveywhere. I guarantee the modern day small (relative to Chicago ORD) is in much better condition than most all interstates and most probably have the load capability for repeated heavy use and obstructions are non-existant. I'm sure there is a provision in every airport lease, including the largest international airports, saying the military could take over if necessary. Besides that, if you hit an Illinois interstate pothole at 120 mph landing speed of a fighter jet could be a problem with tires having 150# + of pressure in them.

Need to work out of primitive areas? The VTOL jump jets could be used, the Harriers & F35s. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)