AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle accident this morning
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jerry/MT
Posted 6/19/2018 09:08 (#6821249 - in reply to #6820042)
Subject: RE: Cattle accident this morning

The Palouse North Idaho
Sorry to hear about your neighbor. In the past few years we've had a couple of people killed, one by a cow and one by a bull. A 200 pound man hasn't got a chance with a PO'd cow at 1300 lbs, let alone a one ton bull!

Once those cows figure out they can wool you around with a threatened charge they'll do it every time you go to mark a calf and maybe the next time it won't be a threat. Get rid of them. It's cheaper that going to the hospital to get put back together or having your family get you a pine box.

We had a real nice heifer that needed a light pull to calve and she immediately attacked the calf. I just put the calf in an adjacent pen where the cow could see it and in a few hours the calve was in the heifers pen and sucking. I figured it was a "one off"!

Next year same cow has a calf and does the same thing. My wife was with me and she gets between the cow and the calf. I cringed and puller her away. No way a 120 pound woman will win with an enraged 1300 pound cow! We kept them a part and in a few hours that cow turned into the best mother on place and raised that calf just like the previous year. That cow went down the road that fall because I couldn't mid-wife that girl every Spring.

The moral of this story is no matter what, cows with a bad disposition need to be culled just like they were bad performers, won't rebreed, etc. I don't care if she e weans a 1000 pound calf on a pitchfork full of hay, she goes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)