AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can't keep help
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tiler
Posted 6/19/2018 07:26 (#6821022 - in reply to #6820767)
Subject: RE: Can't keep help

SCIA
Not sure how to say all that I think on this: Dad worked/ran a dairy farm for 20ish years, 1943-65. He worked as a married man. Not sure to many remember what that means, but, as I was told, they, he and mom, did all the work, for a portion of the milk check. When us kids came along, dad hired a 'man' part time. From mom's mouth, in that time, they left the farm, other than for church, three times, only day trips to family reunions, because the cows would drop production when handled differently. So, 20ish years and only three times away and that for a day only. My Dad was not always angry/burnt out and all this other stuff people talk about today, myself included.

So, when did we start to think that 35, 40,45 or even 50 hours is a work week. And it was not just only farmers at that time. Wife's Grandpa worked two jobs, in town to make ends meet. ExSIL's dad, the same thing. Wife's dad, beer truck driver, 5:30 AM til done and after supper books and billing, often 75-85 hours a week.

I question the concept that any one income... ie ... only one person per household working less then 65 hours per week can/should make enough for a family to live on. So, IMHO, that is why women are not able to stay home and raise their children. But, that is thought to be old fashioned, so, we reap the results of our own folly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)