AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

corn cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 10/16/2006 21:56 (#52149 - in reply to #51916)
Subject: RE: corn cover crop

Thumb of Michigan
No idea, just trying to maybe use what was available. Seems like the guys that run them like something on there to give a positive crimp. In Argentina, they use old rasp bars. The Buffalo to me looks like a reel lawnmower. The cultipacker may be too small in diameter to work, but it would be cheap enough to try. A crowfoot packer may work a little better.
We've got what I concider a pretty odd phenominom around here the last couple of years. Guys will rip the hell out of ground in the fall, and then come in with some pretty hefty rollers in the spring to smash it all back down. Haven't figured out the whole thing yet. Point is, those rollers may do the job crimping wise. But, a 30' roller is about a grand a foot, so I'll just keep on watching.

I've been told that the Argentinians like something they can add water to if needed. Need a bit of weight apparantly to get big stuff crimped. Rolf has used some really growthy stuff for covers, but they need lots of cover to get through the season. Hot humid weather with long term no-till practices has enough biological activety that they can't keep stuff covered full season. Used to be a ton of beet rollers up here, would have made a good start for one if they all hadn't been scrapped. Weld the ends shut and put a pipe plug in.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)