AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notill sharecropping
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

matt suco
Posted 5/16/2018 21:36 (#6763888 - in reply to #6763817)
Subject: RE: Notill sharecropping

Rome, KS
None for burndown, but in crop, say Jan-March, landowner pays for their share of herbicide.

I know beans are relatively new to that area. They were pretty easy to keep clean here when we started growing them 20 years ago. We went on the cheap and used a little preemerge herbicide and cultivated. That lasted about 2 years and things turned into a nightmare. Couldn't hold the weeds with our cheap herbicide and rained too often to do a good job of cultivating. 30 bushel beans turned into sub 10 bushel beans because of the weeds. I have went from spending $5-10/acre on herbicides and cultivating to almost $40/acre in herbicides and the beans aren't yielding anymore than they did 20 years ago.

Before you start next crop season, you need to have all this decided in your lease arrangement.

Work with your tenant this year. Over here all landowners that I know of pay for 1/3 of the pre emergent and post emergent herbicides. A few even pay for 1/3 of the seed. You roughly know how much your tenants are spending on herbicide, insecticide, seed and fertilizer on the entire crop. Do some figuring and see what is equitable to both parties. I know it is tough to do this while watching your good old standby crop go down the tubes. But that same very thing happened here in 1996 when we saw the major acreage shift.

Edited by matt suco 5/16/2018 22:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)