AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Heifer in labor in the trees....how long should I wait to ....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

oldtiger
Posted 5/16/2018 20:20 (#6763687 - in reply to #6763613)
Subject: RE: Heifer in labor in the trees....how long should I wait to ....

NEMO
And that's somewhat the difference between dairy and beef, your information is most often based on huge data sets. If you reread my post I said he's kinda right. Most beef herds in the farming country of the midwest are small, and the bull comes from the down the road breeder that sells a handfull of bulls a year, and really isn't a breeder at all. The hfs that most of these small herds keep are out of that bull that is maybe out of a questionable cow,,,,or a nice draft of hfs from the salebarn, again no history. See the difference? While Jim's response is correct for him, it may not be correct for all the other small time cow/calf folks reading it. While very useful, to put all your faith in EPD numbers is short sighted at best. I'll still take a pelvic and tract score first, supplemented with a bull with a lower BW that looks the part of a hf bull. As a side note, I kind of shy away from the I calf this many deal, lets say this, I'm a little ahead of you, and your's and my experience pales in comparison to the guys in real cattle country. The post was in no way meant to put Jim or his opinion down, only to point out where it comes up a little short. The answer we need from you Dairyman, is the answer to the original question. You calve 200 a year, how long do you wait before you intervene? And a side question from me, because I plain don't know,,,,do dairy cows calve easier? Maybe a dumb question, but I'd think their birth canal would be bigger in proportion than a beef cow, plus the phenotype is completely different

Edited by oldtiger 5/16/2018 20:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)