AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Notill bean questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mlebrun
Posted 10/7/2006 23:02 (#49505 - in reply to #49058)
Subject: RE: flex head in no till beans in stalks

SW MN and Gold Canyon AZ
Jim, when the beans are 9% like they have been ALL this week, running the reel out and down and faster will only result in one thing,LOTS OF SHATTER!! Might work when there 13%, but they were at that % about half a day and then bam 9% all week!!! In drill beans this week I could run 4 mph with the reel only touching the upper 1/3 of the plant at 1.25 times the ground speed with very little shatter. Try that with 30 inch beans.

After doing some 30 inch row beans with the combine and comparing to 10 inch or 15, I would NEVER go back to wider rows. Feeding differences into the head are way different. Not only that but the yield differences are lets say,"big".

If I notilled I would do 15 inch. However we plant early (same time as corn) and the soil is not condusive to notill. If I had NW Ia soils we could maybe make it work. We run manure tanks on bean ground going to corn and need to bust up that compaction after harvest on stalks going to beans. Because I have it custom done, we can't pick wether its dry or wet, they just go. I can't tell them "wait". then i lose my spot and may never get it hauled. My pits are plump full right now and would like to get it on now that its dry but there not coming till next week. It could be wet and compaction could be major. So far my yields have been very good and actually the fields with manure history are outyielding the non manure fields. Evidently compaction is not causing any problems.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)