AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn Photos ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/6/2006 19:23 (#49209 - in reply to #49207)
Subject: Good thinking...

Martinsville, Ohio

I have studied all the literature, tried everything under the sun and still struggle with planting population.

You know why? 

The recommendation was under a certain set of circumstances which may not, and I often do not find in the field.

In my system I seem to be able to plant more than the lowest population recommended but rarely as much as the highest population recommended.

Yes, less has been better to me John but I have to get an adequate stand and control the weeds.

Jeff Stachler at OSU and I had a good discussion at Farm Science Review about volunteer corn and resistant weeds.  Of course the problem is going to continue as we have so many tools in our toolbox we don't know which one to grab.

It is silly to not push the population and get less yield but us older guys like to see those full ears.

Tons of research proves you missed your highest yield when you see full ears but I still love them.

More kernals per acres should result in more harvest loss unless you are really lucky or really good.

I think I will stick to management practices to control the weeds and increase the yield.

Ed

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)