AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to get rid of warts on a show heifer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

ccjersey
Posted 4/18/2018 12:14 (#6717377 - in reply to #6716428)
Subject: RE: How to get rid of warts on a show heifer

Faunsdale, AL
If you do anything..........including burying a cut-off wart by the dark of the moon.......(insert sarcasm here).........it will work 99% of the time.

Thing is, the warts go away when the calf builds an immune response. What you want to know is how to speed up that process.

I don't think anyone knows that, just because of the 99% self-cure rate. It makes it impossible to determine if anything works or not.

I had a dairy heifer that had lots of large horny looking warts and can safely say that all the pinching, cutting off, feeding back and even making and using a crude injectable vaccine didn't cure them in the short run.

She eventually did self-cure but it was long after i gave up doing anything to them. That cow had the warts for at least 3 years before they went away. All the other heifers and cows she was with throughout her life were unaffected at least to the degree that we ever noticed the warts on them. I expect they were all exposed to the same virus in the beginning and certainly should have been exposed to the virus from this poor cow on a daily basis but they never had a problem.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)