AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Do farmers struggle adjusting to trend yields?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

IN555
Posted 4/17/2018 12:58 (#6715533)
Subject: Do farmers struggle adjusting to trend yields?

NW Indiana
I find it a fascinating question to ask yourself if you adjust well to the increase in trend yields. With corn trend yield increasing about 2 bushels a year and soybeans about .7 bushels it is easy to think of previous years yields and forget how much we should be increasing. Look at it on your own farm level, say 5 years ago if I asked what would you consider an average yield for that piece and you responded 185 and 55. Would you now realize that it should be considered 195 and 59?? Would that be your response today?
My point is as we try anticipating the markets I see so often the mindset we won't achieve those yields again. So last year was a fluke on corn correct? But yet with the increase in trend it was only 3-4 bushels above this years trend or 2%. So the mindset we won't grow that kind of crop this year is a bit to much looking at the past. Take the 2008 crop at 154 which was the second largest crop ever at the time, now look what we are doing 10 years later.
Ok so year to year might not be the way to look at it but think about it this way, 2020 we will have a trend nearing 180!!! So as you are pessimistic and not making sales because there is no way we can grow these kinds of crops year in year out, keep in mind what trend is doing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)