AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Loud pipes save lives BS
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

greenfarmer
Posted 4/17/2018 22:50 (#6716574 - in reply to #6713581)
Subject: RE: Loud pipes save lives BS

Central Minnesota
I ride with some guys that love their loud pipes. Usually a pair of Samson’s, or maybe some Vance & Hines with the baffles taken out, or a set of drag pipes on a dyna, or ground pounders on a chopper. What’s funny is, the loud pipes LOSE power on each and every one of them. I can show you Dyno results from exhaust system changes, where a good baffle makes more power by a long shot, compared to a straight pipe. Usually what happens with a straight pipe, is it suffers on the bottom end. The 2000-4000 rpm range. Where the majority of your riding is done. You put a good D&D 2 into 1 pipe on, which sounds real nice, and you will bring your torque back in the riding rpm range.

I have a dynojet motorcycle Dyno, and do a bunch of tuning on bikes. It’s my side job. And I’ll put a good tuned exhaust up against anyones straight pipes all day long, and crush them.

Personally, I’ll take the power over the noise anyday!

FYI those guys you see with drag pipes on, they are the staggered, straight pipes on the side. Well, yes, they probably are having a hard time keeping them running. Those pipes are flat out a pain in the butt to tune. Especially if they have an S&S carb on that bike. You will almost always get a stutter somewhere in the rpm range. Sometimes a little pop, or backfire. There’s just no backpressure there. And backpressure is a good thing in tuning these gassers. In fact I have a 2004 dyna wide glide on the Dyno right now with drag pipes on, and I had ordered a set of baffles that fit inside the pipes, so I can make them to the right length to get rid of the stutter, and still keep some sound for the guy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)