AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
Search Forums | Classifieds (154) | Skins | Language
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to regain our half of an abandoned railroad right of way
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format
Posted 4/16/2018 07:51 (#6712849)
Subject: How to regain our half of an abandoned railroad right of way

Central Iowa
I have a very old railroad right of way that goes along a lengthy stretch of my field. The line was abandon in the 1930s. We have been trying to establish a boundary via surveyor, problem is we are unable to obtain the information needed to legally reqain our half. The original rail road was purchased by the CNW and then subsequently the CNW was purchased by the UP. The UP will not admit to owning it and have been absolutely no help. I have asked an attorney for help and he claims if we could produce a docket number to prove abandonment from the previous railroad his contact at the UP would sign off on it via affidavit. One of my neighbors shows to have his half returned to him in the 1940s, he granted me access to his abstract to look for this illusive number. We combed through it well and did find a few places where that recognizes him owning his half, we went to the court house and looked up the documents and deeds mentioned in his abstract and still no docket number. I'm running out if ideas and so is my surveyor. Has anyone else been through this type of problem before? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)