AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to regain our half of an abandoned railroad right of way
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

back.forty
Posted 4/16/2018 22:06 (#6714515 - in reply to #6712849)
Subject: RE: How to regain our half of an abandoned railroad right of way

SE Ia
The state of Iowa is plotted as a grid.

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/agdm/wholefarm/html/c2-85.html

Survey markers are a curse and blessing. If you want to widen a drive and there is a surveyer marker in the way it’s my experience that it’s a mistake to remove it, even if there are markers within a few paces either side of the marker. The DOT is likely to tell one to pound the offending marker into the drive rather than remove it. Remove it and they might make you replace it.

The legal description and the section and quarter markers should give you a calculated property line for a surveyor to plot. But I do know there are many cases where the fence line and property line do not always agree with the surveyed property line.

From your original post it sounds like you have a neighbor with an abstract that indicates the rail line is abandoned.

It’s hard to believe the abstract doesn’t give you a clue as to where the original property line was and indicate the presence of a railroad right of way. The neighbors abstract should actually help when it comes to defining the original property line and right of way division since his property line has already been found and your line is likely the same line.

But I’m not a lawyer, assessor, recorder or auditor. Your abstract should have the legal discription of your property and history. If you don’t have a good abstract maybe the abstract office can bring it up to date and find the information your looking for.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)