AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

USDA Wants to Hear from Stakeholders about Statistical Programs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Conan the Farmer
Posted 4/16/2018 10:45 (#6713174 - in reply to #6713072)
Subject: RE: USDA Wants to Hear from Stakeholders about Statistical Programs

South Central Iowa
1) Why are you hosting this meeting in the middle of planting season? Why at the UofC instead of a land grant that is recognized for production agriculture, like Purdue, Illinois, or Iowa State? Do you not want farmers coming in their big stupid pickups or something?

2) Why are there 4 different agencies that report export numbers and why do those numbers not match? The agencies, that I know of at least, are FAS, AMS, NASS, and outside of USDA, the Census Bureau, whose number is the one that actually counts in the end.

3) What is the specific reason you do not use RMA data for yield estimates given 98%+ of farmers use crop insurance? (An aside, I don't think they should either, I think there is a great deal of fudging and double counted or never counted bushels, I'd like to hear their reasons though)

4) I don't believe it was your agency, but I would still like to hear your opinion on the value of crop condition reports, and if you find them valuable, why were they so out of line in predicting yield in 2017?

5) Why is it important in this digital age for the USDA to produce production reports? There are scores of private estimators, why is what you do superior to them or an aggregation of their data and reports?

I could probably think of more, and would probably ask number one last. But they don't want farmers going. Us rubes with our dirty fingernails, boots, and dumb plaid shirts; driving our big stupid pickups. We'd probably want it across from a Village Inn so we could go eat some pumpkin pie afterwards. Rednecks! They look down on us hard. Put in at a time they will be busy and in a place they won't be able to find a parking spot.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)