AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Clutch Module Configuration Failed
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/15/2018 10:11 (#6710539 - in reply to #6710425)
Subject: RE: Clutch Module Configuration Failed

Southern Minnesota Between Freeborn & Wells
Reese - 4/14/2018 21:28

Thanks for that info on the ground wire. But Agleader sent a service bulletin with my Sure Stop Row Clutches P# 4001624. Ag Leader Technology TSB-003025. Basicly it says clutches shipped after March 1st 2011 include the elctrical change that requires a corrected power and ground connection. Clutches are identified by serial # after 110,000 and pin A is Red and pin B is Black. Both wire colors on old clutches were white. My clutches serial # 211095 wires are Red and Black. When I checked the voltage on my 8 Row Single row cable. The Red wire in each clutch cable connection had 12.33 volts to ground on it. So I don't know why It can't see any clutches. I'm going to place a jumper in all 8 rows and see what that tells me. And Thank you to everybody who has helped me try to figure this out. It is greatly appreciated.

OK so you have SureStops. As the bulletin points out, the early SureStops used two white wires and were not polarity specific. The newer SureStops use a black and red wire and are polarity specific. This is not really a problem when using a genuine Ag Leader harness with an Ag Leader system. The red wire is 12V constant hot and is on Pin A on the frame harness and Pin A of the SureStop Clutches is red and expecting the 12V. So just plugging it in should work fine.

The problem comes about if the SureStops are used with another company's wiring harness where they may have the polarity reversed so 12V would go to the black wire. This can burn out a portion of the clutch since the newer clutches are polarity sensitive. I became aware of this several years ago when Ag Leader made the change to being polarity specific. I had made some adapters for using EZ-Boom with SureStop clutches. EZ-Boom switched the hot instead of the ground like Ag Leader does. This didn't matter when the SureStops were not polarity specific. My long distance customer called and said that my adapter had ruined some of his SureStops.

Turns out that his new SureStops had some of the non-polarity types with some of the newer polarity specific types. If he had been using 100% Ag Leader stuff everything would have been fine. Since he was using EZ-Boom the newer SureStops were being feed reverse polarity and were damaged.

Since your system is all Ag Leader and you are getting 12V on the red wire to Pin A and Pin A on the clutch is red there should be no damage. You could check the clutch by connecting it directly to a 12V battery as long as you are careful about the polarity. The + terminal of the battery must go to the red wire on the clutch. The - terminal of the battery must go to the black wire on the clutch. This should allow you to test each clutch on the bench.

If the clutches are damaged this would explain your error message. It sounds as if your SureStops were new. Testing with the jumpers that I referred to in your email may lead to some conclusions.

Edited by tedbear 4/15/2018 10:12
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)