AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Itunes
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

paul the original
Posted 4/7/2018 10:24 (#6693526 - in reply to #6692944)
Subject: RE: Itunes

southern MN
I've never been into music very much, turn the radio on for background and I'm good, so never followed the progression of music purchases very much.

As Ted says, if you buy a physical cd of music, you can copy that to listen to on your device.

If you buy a 99 cent download type of deal, there were different schemes on that. I think originally they only allowed you to play it on that one device; they found out a lot of pushback because people changed devices, so then it went to allowing 2-3 copies or some such. Now has it changed to you can have it available on 3-5 devices?

Clearly, I'm confused, but it was all very confusing and changed over a short period of time.

So, which type of licence did you buy the music under att he time? Apple especially was working very hard to tie up licensing and fees on music and control it all very tightly. Things that worked out in the open, Apple would shut down on their devices and within iTunes at their whim. I would hear of massive cleansing of music libraries with iTunes updates - often was legal copies of owned cds cleansed from the files. Kids learned not to use iTunes there for a while, and hold their music content in other software.

I was talking about an old movie that I like to a nephew, and he likely would (Forbidden Planet) I was looking for info/trailers on it to show him. I noticed that YouTube had it for $2 or whatever on their content stream, he said oh that's alright, I can find anything for free online. His life work is software and Internet design he's struggling to find a job he likes. And then of course, the amount of ad revenue youtube gets from people watching copyrighted material on their open feed.....

Interesting how we care about intellectual property in one direction, but not in the other.

I know this thread is about legally purchased tunes, so I'm not trying to say anything beyond general interest. Think my brain is frozen and I'm just rattling by now.

You might need to go back and read the fine print of how you bought the rights to those tunes back then? We have all kept copies of those 26 page agreements we click on every day right?

Paul
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)