AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alcohol treatment
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Kickapoogian
Posted 4/2/2018 08:05 (#6681016 - in reply to #6678270)
Subject: RE: Alcohol treatment

Soldiers Grove Wi. 54655
I agree with everyone here. They won't stop unless they are ready. My best friend died from alcohol 1 1/2 years ago and I know of many in my own family that alcohol has taken.. (in a way it's one's way of killing themself without realizing it) One thing that has helped a few decide to choose to quite alcohol or drugs is seeing a video of themselves when they are at their worst if they are the type that forget what they did or black out. Seeing oneself like others see them while they are on a drunk or high might trigger them to get help and it might just tick them off. About 10 years ago I wrote my friend a letter and told him he might be upset with me but I"m either going to lose him this way as a friend or lose him to alcohol. His language was foul as well as how he treated some people.. He slowed down for awhile but it didn't work but we still remained friends.. 2 years prior to his death he moved to his cabin a mile from me and left Chicago after his divorce was done. He was a shell of a man when I pulled in to his driveway to seen him as it had been 10 months since he had been up for deer hunting. His stomach was protruded to the point where I thought he had siroccos of the liver and was in terrible pain. I made him stay with me that night and sleep in a recliner and worried he would die on me before I got him to the doctor. Next day they drained 5 liters of fluid off his stomach, 3 days later 5 more. He had acites of the liver and his pancreas was inflamed. It was treatable but a long road to recovery and damage had already been done to many of his organs..
~ Long story short he went through this for several weeks until he didn't need to be drained anymore and after a year was not drinking but had beer around in case someone stopped in... Of course he eventually started sipping a little as it's all he could handle.. I expressed how upset I was but it didn't matter. About 9 months before he died some new neighbors moved in that didn't know his history and the girlfriend liked "jello shots". Of course my friend started keeping them on hand for her.. (also meant Vodka and Peach sSchnoeps). I told them to quit drinking with him but they didn't think he was that bad as he was by then back to drinking a beer or 3 a day (probably more) but the mix is probably what finally did him in. Found him on a Sunday Morning and he'd been dead since the afternoon before. It was tough seeing him like that but I had watched him let his diet go as well as the color of his skin and of course make excuses for everything as I went to the Dr. appointments with him and had permission to talk to his doctor. 15 years earlier this man could have tangled with anyone and had the strength of an ox. He kept on going downhill until he could barely dress himself. I was just hoping I could keep him alive a couple more years..
That said, I've talked to others about addiction and some I;ve been able to help and some not over the years but they won't change until they are ready. It might help if they get letters from many who love or care for him though or even as I said a video of them to watch when they are sober... Sadly some are never sober long enough to comprehend what they are watching but they might see what others around them at the time of their intoxication are reacting to them..
Just a little food for thought. (Hope I didn't upset anyone with my words)
Kick~
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)