AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cutting furnace oil tank
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

730diesel
Posted 3/24/2018 22:02 (#6663487 - in reply to #6662795)
Subject: RE: cutting furnace oil tank

NE ND
Did mine with a sawzall. Super easy.

However, are you SURE it is completely empty? I moved into an old house, my current one, and this thing was stuck in the basement and the valve slowly dripped every 20 minutes into a bucket from previous owner and the legs were so rusty it was ready to fall over. When you rocked it, it sure seemed empty. When you hit it it went "cong" so seemed empty. I had a drill with a 3/4" bit on it and drilled a hole right in the middle to get the sawzall blade into the tank so I could start. Drilled the hole. Stuck the blade in and went up. My heart hit the floor when I looked inside and found I drilled only about an inch above the fuel! The SOB was half full! I was home by myself. If I would have drilled lower I would have sat there with my thumb over the hole till the wife got home! Ended up draining it into 2.5 gallon jugs and carefully walking them through the house to the front door!.....all 50 jugs. Then I cut it all up!

Edit: Whoever dreamed up the idea that putting fuel oil tanks in a basement was a good idea I'll never know! Ranks right up there with a gas tank behind a seat in 50s truck.

Edited by 730diesel 3/24/2018 22:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)