AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Powered Soil Sample Probe
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CornfedHusker
Posted 3/24/2018 20:40 (#6663291 - in reply to #6662810)
Subject: RE: simple simon soil sampler

Nebraska
I have 2 augers and a wintex. My wintex works awesome when the ground is just right. Too wet, the core sticks in the probe and won't come out, too dry and the dirt just falls out of the probe.The wintex really struggles to reach the same depth sample after sample in ground that is quite firm. If the ground is hard the vehicle will lift up until the wintex finds its "target depth" and triggers the cycle. yet the probe only went in 4-5 inches one time, maybe 8 the next. If the ground conditions aren't "just right" we have to use the augers.

Maybe, the reason your probe samples are running 30% lower than auger samples is that the probe is getting too deep. Also when a push probe goes in that core compresses. THen a guy puts 8" of plugs in the bag. It seems certainly plausible there could be 30% deeper sample. 30% more on a 8" sample is a 10.4" sample. In a loose, pure sugar sand environment, I could imagine where the hole would keep collapsing and running more sand from the top inch or so into the auger hole but even a little moisture should keep integrity of the hole for a few seconds to get the sample.

If I was designing a sampler or putting in an order.

The unit i want would be an auger. It needs to work in many different ground situations. wet, dry, clay, sand, loam and muck. Reliably maintain 30 samples an hour auger life of 10,000 cycles, maintenance life of 70-100K cycles per year and a rebuild/replace at 500,000 cycles.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)