AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shooting for 100 Bu. Winter wheat.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ben D, N CA
Posted 3/24/2018 16:30 (#6662817 - in reply to #6662084)
Subject: RE: Shooting for 100 Bu. Winter wheat.

Whiskey, Tango, Foxtrot
Varieties make the biggest difference here. Used to be 4 ton was a darn good crop and you always had to question the claims of those guys making it, since 4 ton was a long ways from realistic for most. Not more than 10 years ago. Last year I hit 5 ton on a piece of ground that is far from the best around. Not only that, but there was almost no lodging. With varieties of the past if you pushed them enough to get to the top end of the yield potential by harvest the whole field would go down. SWW.

I'm not much help on fertility, as I'm following potatoes which leave a lot of NPK in the ground, all I applied was 220# of urea in the spring when it was about 6" tall, and 10 gallons of ThioSul through the sprinklers at boot. I irrigated it twice, once in late spring and the last time at boot. I would have liked to have irrigated it once more, but hedged my bet and put 6" down at the last irrigation as it was just about tall enough I couldn't irrigate it again.

Your probably not irrigated, but that's also not a lot of water. I started with moist ground, but that was only an additional 9" which isn't much compared to the yield. Also baled about 3 ton of straw off the place and we left the stubble high enough to be able to burn the remaining stubble clean this spring.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)