AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ag Leader Planter Clutch Control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 3/24/2018 10:34 (#6662174 - in reply to #6661718)
Subject: RE: Ag Leader Planter Clutch Control

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
mrahe - 3/23/2018 17:56

I have an Ag Leader Integra with GPS 6500. My planter is a White 8516 with 3 section electric shutoffs. These clutches are currently ran with a manual switch box. Is it possible to run these automatically with the Integra? What do I need to do This? Assuming I need direct command switch box and aux input module but then do I just need to add a clutch module?

Your statement is correct depending of what your mean by direct command switch box, you don't need a direct command smart switch box AND aux input module. You need one or the other. They perform equivalent tasks and are interchangeable. Why have one or the other? Convenience, cab clutter etc.

Since an Integra comes with auto swath already unlocked you should be fine in that respect. The multi-product unlock would be required if you want the Integra to work with more than one product at a time. Split planter, plant and spray etc. are example where Multi-product unlock is needed.

The switch box situation can be confusing. There are two possibilities. 1) use an Ag Leader dumb switchbox which is plugged into an Auxiliary Input Module OR 2) use an Ag Leader smart switch box SC110. This has the Auxiliary Input module built inside. You need one or the other but not both. They are functionally equivalent.

Historically the Auxiliary Input Module was produced first. It allowed switch boxes of various sizes and shapes to be used with it. One switch box that could be used was the 10 section dumb switch box made by Ag Leader. There were other choices. This was overkill for a spinner truck or some situation that only needed a few sections. For a spinner truck only a single switch was needed so having the brains in a separate box out of the way was a better plan. For a 3 section sprayer only 4 switches would be needed. Ag Leader could have built various sizes of dumb switch boxes but they had to draw the line somewhere so they decided on 10 sections.

For a planting setup such as clutches I have used both. With my 12 row planter, I used a homemade switch box (I wanted some other switches in it) and the Auxiliary Input module. When I went to a 24 row planter in a different tractor I decided to go with the SC110 smart switch box for less cab clutter. I could have used my Auxiliary Input module and a homemade switch box or a 10 section dumb switch box for the larger planter. Using the SC110 Smart switch box fit in nicely. The reason I didn't want to reuse the Auxiliary Input module was that I had other plans for it but it could have been used.

For your situation either should be fine. The SC110 would be overkill but would have the extra capacity for other future situations and likely reduce cab clutter.

Note: Making a homemade switch box involves a bit of trickery so it is not encouraged.

The other part of the Clutch situation involves an Ag Leader Clutch Control Module. A single Clutch Control Module can handle 12 sections (a section can be several rows as a group). If more sections are desired it is possible to daisy chain up to three Clutch Modules together. The wiring dictates which module gets assigned first, second or third. I have never worked with a setup using more than one Clutch module. One Clutch Module will be plenty for your situation.

In your case with the clutches already setup in three sections you could just leave them arranged the way they are. If the clutches are row clutches it would be possible to split the planter up into as many 12 sections but that would require a different wiring arrangement. I suspect your three sections are driven in three groups with a single clutch for each group rather than individual row clutches.

Generally the Clutch Control Module is mounted on the planter so the branches from it to the clutches is as short as possible. A cable runs along the hitch to the tractor. That cable contains the CAN connection for information exchange and some large wires called High Current to provide the energy to actually cycle the clutches and other options.

In your case you must already have the High Current wires and signal wires leading to some type of box in the cab, This may mean that having the module on the back of the tractor or front of the planter could work. This would leave the planter wiring untouched. An Adapter could be made leading from the Ag Leader Clutch Control module to the current connector at the hitch. This would involve knowledge and availability of connectors, pins etc. Many dealerships don't want to get involved with those arrangements. An advantage is that the planter would be undisturbed which dealers prefer at trade in time. I'm confident that this could be done - I don't know if it would be practical with other factors involved.

It might just be best to put the section control switch box that you have on the shelf. Disconnect the current wiring to the clutches on the planter but leave the cable there since you have no other use for it anyway and disconnect the clutches. Then mount the Ag Leader module on the planter and lay its cable on the frame to the clutches. Use an Ag Leader power/can extension on the hitch to lead to the tractor. Add the power/can stub onto the Ag Leader wiring in the tractor. This would probably be the best for a troubleshooting process since it would be what Ag Leader is expecting.

Edited by tedbear 3/25/2018 08:42
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)