AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Weak calf
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Brandon
Posted 3/19/2018 20:40 (#6652601)
Subject: Weak calf

Illinois
Have a 2 week old calf out of a heifer that has gone from ok, to bad, to ok, to bad again. At birth, the mother was very good and cleaned her well, and I am 90% sure the calf sucked normally. After about the 4th day, I noticed the calf was thin, and the mother didn't seem to be mothering very well. She wouldn't clean the calf's nasty rear end off at all, and I don't think she was milking well. I started feeding a bottle, and the calf aggressively took a half gallon, twice a day. At one week, we gave a "weak calf" shot 2 days in a row. For the next 4 days, the calf improved to almost normal and was running and sucking decently. I stopped the bottle.

Just 2 days ago, after a rainy, muddy night, I found the calf sprawled in a ditch a very weak. Since that time it has been unable to stand on its front legs, but it still aggressively takes a bottle. It is too weak to stand and suck its mom. It was given excenel and baytril that day but has not improved. I can stand it up, but it's front legs are very weak, and it's head and neck have little control.

I'm about to throw in the towel, but I've never had one eat a bottle so aggressively that's this weak. Any ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)