AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Back Up Camera
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/5/2006 08:03 (#48883 - in reply to #48489)
Subject: More

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I picked up one of the back-up systems at my Local Super Wally yesterday. It was around $100.

Of the three models available this was the "high end of the three". It is color and wireless.

I bench tested it with good results. I temporarily hooked it up to the combine. The camera needs power which was easy to get on the 9650 since there are several relays close to the rear.

The monitor came with two styles of power in cables. One was for hard wiring and the other was a cig. lighter plug. I used the lighter plug for my tests.

I didn't have time to do much testing but my initial impressions are that the wireless setup loses communication in the combine quite easily. The location of the monitor seemed to affect the reception dramatically. Holding the monitor in my hand caused the reception to be lost. Since there is no external antenna on the monitor I suppose that's understandable. Also there is a considerable amount of metal between the monitor location and the camera in the combine which would hurt the reception.

At the moment I do't think this system is the answer for the combine. I was also concerned about cell phone use and possible interference with some of my other electronics. Possibly the "wired" model would have been more suitable for this situation.

I believe I will try installing the system on the tri-axle truck as this would be useful there. There should be less of the interference issues there.

Good point about seeing yourself in traffic. If the guy ahead of you had the same model, your monitor might pick up off of his camera. Thus you might see yourself on your monitor.

There are two scenarios for wiring the system in more normal road vehicles. One way "taps" into the backup circuit for triggering so the system is only ON when the vehicle is in Reverse, with the other setup, the system is ON with key power. With the Reverse style, the monitor would be OFF in normal driving which is probably a good idea.

Edited by tedbear 10/5/2006 08:05
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)