AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Built a tile plow...pics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

fox128
Posted 2/24/2018 08:45 (#6601202 - in reply to #6600937)
Subject: RE: Built a tile plow...pics

West Central IA
in the one pic you can see i used 3 pieces of 3/8 flat to make the bottom of the shank. It is shaped so the 4" tile will be mostly supported 1/3 of the way up from the bottom per tile mfg specs. I read a v in the bottom can let water run under the tile and wash out. I looked at a big gold digger and it had 4'' of flat on the bottom, but they have to work with 8" tile+. So i think my design will actually be superior because it is shaped specifically for 4" tile. But i'm no engineer or tiling expert...

As far a plans, I could give a rundown on what I did, but i'm not smart enough to run a cad program or whatever.

the main frame is 6x6x3/8 square tubing. I used all of a 24' stick, a 20 would probably come up short.
the brackets for the 3 pt, cylinder, and pivot are 5/8x6 flat. I think i have about 5' left over at this point.
I'd have to measure to check what widths I used for the bottom flat, I believe it was on 2.5" and two 2". I buy most of my material direct from state steel omaha.
The main pivot is 2" i.d. bushing. I originally used a 1 15/16 pin but wasnt happy with the amount of slop so I had a 2" shaft machined down .015", if i did it again I would have the bushing bored the .015.
The cylinder is a 6x20x3. I only needed 16" of stroke, but surplus center had the 20 for $385.... cheaper than I could buy a 5" with 16in stroke. Might be overkill on the cylinder but thats one thing I didnt want to undersize.
I can get more specific measurements etc if someone wants them, but I wouldn't recommend copying mine yet, as others pointed out, it may explode the first time it goes in the ground. I'll be sure to report back with how it works.

Edited by fox128 2/24/2018 08:58
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)