AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Power line easement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bigdonkey78
Posted 2/2/2018 16:20 (#6549805)
Subject: Power line easement

I am wondering if anyone has to deal with power companies purchasing an easement on their property.
I have searched on here and got some good informatio but i am wondering what type of numbers i should be expecting for compensation. Land has sold for 9500 an acre around here about 3 months ago. So should i expect that as a payment? Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to get a lawyer involved unless i have to since they are taking a smaller area and i feel i would owe more to lawyer than i would get from the electric company.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rosiesdad
Posted 2/2/2018 16:38 (#6549830 - in reply to #6549805)
Subject: RE: Power line easement

Western-Central Lower Michigan
Find out if they can every bury anything in the easement. Could complicate things if they let a telco or internet company bury a fiber through there.
Bigdonkey78
Posted 2/2/2018 16:47 (#6549851 - in reply to #6549830)

They are telling us they can not bury it because of the voltage.
SCIN Farmer
Posted 2/2/2018 22:03 (#6550612 - in reply to #6549851)

Read the easement agreement again... I bet it's in there.
Big Ben
Posted 2/2/2018 22:50 (#6550687 - in reply to #6549851)

Columbia Basin, Ephrata, WA
Bigdonkey78 - 2/2/2018 14:47

They are telling us they can not bury it because of the voltage.

Unless it’s a Bonneville tower type transmission line, that’s BS. More like they don’t want to foot the bill to bury it.

rosiesdad
Posted 2/3/2018 19:13 (#6552409 - in reply to #6549851)

Western-Central Lower Michigan
What Im saying is be aware that the may sub lease a fiber optic cable or even a gas line to be buried in their easement without any further negotiations. If you have drain tile or ever want to put drain tile you do NOT want any utilities buried if you can help it.
iseedit
Posted 2/2/2018 16:56 (#6549868 - in reply to #6549805)
Subject: RE: Wrong Thinking ?

central - east central Minnesota -

Bigdonkey78 - 2/2/2018 16:20 I am wondering if anyone has to deal with power companies purchasing an easement on their property. I have searched on here and got some good informatio but i am wondering what type of numbers i should be expecting for compensation. Land has sold for 9500 an acre around here about 3 months ago. So should i expect that as a payment? Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to get a lawyer involved unless i have to since they are taking a smaller area and i feel i would owe more to lawyer than i would get from the electric company.

Boy, It would take pretty different circumstances, dealing with power company, to not have a Attorney involved. A good contract attorney - with experience with easements, will more then pay for themselves and return more to you (not just dollars or money compensation, but contract langrage that will have the least amount of impact to your land/operations).

A person would need much, much more info to give you a opinion if you are getting ripped off or not on the Money part. Also need more info for the easement contract langrage to give a opinion on your impact.

Again, There is MUCH more to your situation then the money part . . . . .  proceed carefully.

Badger
Posted 2/2/2018 16:57 (#6549870 - in reply to #6549805)

Huntley Montana

Limit the easement to THAT USE ONLY.. Will it foul you up for Pivots or something else someday?  Make sure you get a clause that  HOLD YOU or ANY OTHER OWNER HARMLESS for normal Farm Operations.

bonhammj
Posted 2/2/2018 17:20 (#6549912 - in reply to #6549805)

Southern NJ
Get as much as you can get out of them. The electric company around here got them all for 1 dollar in the 1920s. Make sure it works for pivots mainline etc. Once they have the easement they will beat you up if you ever need to cross it with anything. That was my experience with irrigation main.
Might be able to negotiate electric service to bins or something if you need it. Now is the time to think about that stuff.
SCIN Farmer
Posted 2/2/2018 22:05 (#6550616 - in reply to #6549912)

Their defense... $1 (per acre I assume) plus having the ability to get electricity for the first time was probably a bigger deal in 1920
bonhammj
Posted 2/3/2018 05:22 (#6550816 - in reply to #6550616)

Southern NJ
It was 1 dollar per easement. And yes you are right. It was for the better of the rural community.

Now they let their attorneys take these for the better of the community easements and put all kinds of restrictions on them.

Most were just a blanket easement and a hand drawn sketch.
Land bound to the north south east and west by farmers a,b,c,d.

Gerald J.
Posted 2/2/2018 18:06 (#6550015 - in reply to #6549805)

I went through that over a gas line in 2016.

It will pay to hire an easement attorney. His letters catch their attention much better than yours. And he is an expert in contract law.

When I read their proposed easement contract I understood it to give them total freedom to use the easement forever for whatever they ever wanted, including power lines. more pipelines. a road, a hiking path, a railroad,and an airport runway.

Their initial letter threatened going to eminent domain if we couldn't come to an agreement. Keep that letter, when they send a 1099 to the IRS you need to use a copy of that letter attached to your return to not have to pay income tax on the easement payments.

My contract was rewritten by my attorney by my requests to say ONLY ONE PIPE and nothing above ground but markers at the property lines, and no trench, put it in by directional boring. And then pay twice their initial offer and pay a similar amount to cover tile repairs. They agreed, paid, and did the boring. Saved wrecking a couple acres of crop ground.

Gerald J.
roush9799
Posted 2/2/2018 18:26 (#6550052 - in reply to #6549805)

West Central IL

Ground that we bought years back for $6000/acre, they move about 4 or 5 poles and one guy wire in about 15'-20' to widen a road.  They may have taken an acre at most.  Got $9000 out of that deal.  It sort of messes up a small place that could have been farmable if we wanted, but now it's not worth the trouble.  

rometwp
Posted 2/2/2018 18:34 (#6550068 - in reply to #6549805)

here they offered the value of the land for the easement
barren
Posted 2/3/2018 05:16 (#6550812 - in reply to #6550068)

Glasgow, Ky
rometwp - 2/2/2018 18:34

here they offered the value of the land for the easement

Same here and I had several acres involved for 325kv power line. Company was good to work with and I had no reason to think they were trying to put the screw to me. Guess I am just naive. One way to ease your mind is to compare your contract with other land owners involved. Typically there is a uniform contract with the main component being the price per acre.
greg33
Posted 2/2/2018 21:06 (#6550467 - in reply to #6549805)

100% of land value and $6,000 per pole. another company paid 80% and 1200 per pole.

Kidsdad
Posted 2/3/2018 07:40 (#6551002 - in reply to #6549805)

30 Miles Northwest of Columbus Ohio
Figure out the damages and inconvenience for the next 40 years. Be best friends with the negotiation guys when they come.

In the 60s a big power line went through a corner of the farm with 2 towers. Dad negotiated two months at the kitchen table with them and received many times more than the value of the whole farm.

You will have to deal with that the rest of your life.
sri
Posted 2/3/2018 09:12 (#6551209 - in reply to #6549805)

nw pa
Bigdonkey78 - 2/2/2018 16:20

I am wondering if anyone has to deal with power companies purchasing an easement on their property.
I have searched on here and got some good informatio but i am wondering what type of numbers i should be expecting for compensation. Land has sold for 9500 an acre around here about 3 months ago. So should i expect that as a payment? Any help would be appreciated. I dont want to get a lawyer involved unless i have to since they are taking a smaller area and i feel i would owe more to lawyer than i would get from the electric company.

if they are going through wooded area. the width of right of way doesn't make a difference. If a tree needs cut they can do it no matter how far off right of way.They do have to pay so set a price for each tree before you sign.500 a tree should do.Othwerwise they send some college kid to tell you they are all junk trees worth 25 bucks. Only sign for use intended. level and seed ground if that is your desire. no chemicals if that matters to you
You must think ahead 40 years to what could happen and figure from there. That's what they are doing
Neb. Nick
Posted 2/3/2018 10:02 (#6551317 - in reply to #6549805)

east central NE.
It depends on where they are running the line , like along side a road on edge of field or across the center of the field. I have let them put lines up on the edge for wells as my neghbors have let them for my wells. I realize this is just a small 3 ph line I am talking about and you are talking a bout a big one but it still helps your neighbors get power. We would all be with out power if years ago everyone was like they are now.
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)