AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

If I get used AL sure stops...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

4WD
Posted 1/26/2018 10:04 (#6532634 - in reply to #6532240)
Subject: RE: If I get used AL sure stops...

Between Omaha and Des Moines, 7 miles South of I80

I did my whole installation, and used all Ag Leader components. (Never had to call anyone)

You will have to make up your mind about how you want rows to shutoff, so you order correct cable: (2 rows at a time) or (using RTK and each row separately) or (2 outside rows paired together, then inner rows separately) Note: I'm using WASS and choose the last option = works great

Make sure all your "measurements are correct" for GPS on tractor. Like placement of GPS receiver; height, distance in front of rear axle, distance from rear axle to drawbar hole, distance from rear axle to lower 3 point attachment points. Once these are correct then you just need to know the distance between planters' attachment point (drawbar or 3pt) to where the seed drops to the ground(end of seed tube, with planter lowered). Note: my JD7200 drawbar hitch was 13'8", IIRC, and that gets entered into software, too.

Reason I mention that, is if you do those measurements correctly; then Ag Leader's suggested starting/stopping times (Look ahead values) will be perfect or near perfect, when you go to test with some seed in the boxes.

Some suggestions, I learn from others:

A: Use 2 lift switches; if your ground/soil is uneven, hilly, and have terraces = that fits my description, so I purchased 2 JD style lift switches and JD brackets and installed.

B: [For my JD lift switch style] When testing, before planting season, make a little electrical "jumper wire", for one of your lift switches' 2 wire plug connector, and you can temporary install that into the planter's harness, and that will "fool" the software to believe the planter is 2" into the ground(planter down), BUT you can just lower planter row units just so they are slightly above ground and drive forward and seeds will drop right on top of soil or grass = no digging necessary. Note: I did my testing in grass pasture, in late March, and did first pass (East/West) with planter in ground = made trenches; but next pass(North/South) I installed "jumper wire" and just lowered planter enough that double disc openers just barely touched the ground, then drove 90 degrees across the East/West pass, AT planting speed (4.4 MPH for me). Now, compare seeds, on top of ground, to the East/West trenches; on both sides {= entering and exiting at planting speed}. I only put seed in outside boxes (row 1 and row 8) =8 row planter.

In Hindsight, I wish I had taken the lawn mower, over to the pasture and the mowed grass very close to the ground, BEFORE testing.

Basically, I could have left the Ag Leader suggested "Look Ahead values" just as they recommended; I choose to alter one setting by (.1 second) and retested. (the difference was about 6")

I'll add a chart, that another NAT member posted, because I like that it showed some MPH and timing and spacing differences.

(clutchtimingratesJD_resized[1].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments clutchtimingratesJD_resized[1].jpg (78KB - 54 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)