AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tablet with good cell reception?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 1/24/2018 22:41 (#6529437 - in reply to #6528145)
Subject: RE: Tablet with good cell reception?

East Central, Nebraska
so i am told that the bigger the ipad the more antenna area. i have been told in the past the ipads antenna exists on the outside of the screen so obviously bigger screen means longer antenna. if this holds true for a phone then you have the poorest antenna.

as for digifarm. no one says you cannot use a hotspot. though what people try to do is use a hotspot and a wifi only ipad. problem with that is wifi only ipads do not have gps. so when you hit connect on the app the ipad/phone sends digifarm a location from the ios device which then creates your virtual base (thats kind of how i understand it). devices such as a trimble fmx which cannot output on port d this is critical particularly because without initial location from the ipad digifarm has no clue if your in alabama or canada. so technically if your sitting in your yard and shut off your cellular data on your ipad you can connect to your home network and then connect to digifarm successfully. i can assure you though if you call digifarm support and ask them to support your ios device that is running off a hotspot they will likely not be able to help much. these are the reasons digifarm recommends using a full size ipad over any other device especially android.

to be honest regarding android the variation in devices is alarming. all ipads are created equally. as far as android this isn't at all the case, sometimes the same exact android device on the same network are not created equally. i personally use android and ios (ipads) for digifarm and have tremendously better luck with my ipads. this summer about midway through the season i had an update on my galaxy s7 and now after about 5-10 minutes after the phone sits idle it times out the data connection. if i touch the screen it starts streaming again. very frustrating. the android app is awesome its just sometimes difficult to find the device that performs the best. sounds like your certain your phone has some reception problems, digifarm can confirm this on their side. make sure you wifi is off and maybe pay attention to if your switching from 3g,4g,lte all the time. i also think a cheap usb adapter can cause a ton of problems in the cab with multiple devices maybe narrow down a device that is causing some kind of distortion. if the phone works great elsewhere maybe something else in the cab is hindering performance.

if i were you id take the wifes iphone and put the digifarm app on it and try it out to see how it compares for reception. you may be very surprised. i have a neighbor on the same network as me with an android who streams pandora, digifarm, and talks o the phone all day and never misses a beat. i can bearly stream digifarm on my phone, and when i get a call everything else comes to a halt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)