AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crop question?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mhagny
Posted 1/24/2018 05:11 (#6527212 - in reply to #6525902)
Subject: RE: Cover crop question?

Jake8420T - 1/23/2018 13:16 I have been thinking about trying a cover crop for the past few years now but haven't been able to get myself to spend the money on it. But after this week's 2 in rain even the notilled ground looks washed out. I have been doing alot of reading up on cover crops in part because it seems like who every tries it in my area either gives up or complains about a significant yield drag. I understand that a cover not only helps with erosion control weed control and keeping nitrates out of our water supply. But I came across an article that said that cover crops lech potassium into our water supply at a higher rate that can harm humans at a much lower rate or ppm than nitrates can.... Has anyone else ever heard of this?

Maybe what you're recalling was actually that P (not K) can be more leachable with cover crops such as brassicas in areas with tile?  There was a study in the Great Lakes or northeast US that came to this conclusion.  That wouldn't stop me from doing cover crops, however, but I'd use different cc species or mixes.

As for yield drag, it can be avoided.  A great many studies & surveys find no yield drag when all the data is aggregated.  Yes, it occurs, but can be avoided with extra fertilizers up-front on corn.  Hardly ever does yield drag occur in soybeans following covers -- far more often it's yield gain.  Of course, management must be adjusted a bit for best results and to minimize risk.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)