AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

tank heater for semi diesel tanks !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

SEK Farmer
Posted 12/20/2008 16:30 (#541265)
Subject: tank heater for semi diesel tanks !!!

Southeastern Kansas
Have heard that some trucks in the cold country have fuel heaters to warm the fuel and stop gelling problems. Our 379 Pete with a Detroit engine is almost unusable in the cold because of gelling problems from cold fuel. Have never seen these heaters for sale anywhere. Ideally what I would like to do is drop one of those bullet 110 volt water heaters used in livestock waters in the fuel tank at night to warm the fuel. That's too easy of a solution and wouldn't try it without more research, but how do these heaters work and do they exist. Thanks for your input.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
billybob
Posted 12/20/2008 16:49 (#541281 - in reply to #541265)
Subject: RE: tank heater for semi diesel tanks !!!

Circulate engine hot water through pipes for incoming fuel from tank, thus warming up the fuel.  Don't heat the whole tank.  I think there is one on my old KW. 
Traveling Man
Posted 12/20/2008 16:54 (#541287 - in reply to #541265)
Subject: Re: tank heater for semi diesel tanks !!!

Finland, up there in north where noboby farms!
These two are water to fule models
http://www.jupalco.com/emer.html
http://varaosatedullisesti.kotisivukone.com/tuotteet.html?id=97/179...
and this one is Volvo truck one whit electricity
http://www.volvo.com/trucks/finland-market/fi-fi/trucks/accessories...

Heaters taht would heat fuel on than we don't have. I'm sure you can use magnet type electric heater....

I hope you can get idea....sorry about wrong language.

Edited by Traveling Man 12/20/2008 16:57
bullhauler
Posted 12/20/2008 17:06 (#541295 - in reply to #541287)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
My KW T800 has Arctic Fox fuel heaters, they mount in the fuel tank and warm coolant from engine is circulated though to warm the fuel. They make some that mount in the fuel line and they are soposed to work good also. Terry
iseedit
Posted 12/20/2008 17:10 (#541300 - in reply to #541265)
Subject: RE: Artic - Fox . . .

central - east central Minnesota -
Here is Artic Foxes website - they supply the trucking industry with fuel / oil heaters  . . .  http://www.arctic-fox.com/
Greywolf
Posted 12/20/2008 17:28 (#541313 - in reply to #541300)

Aberdeen MS
Artic Fox is a great product.... once things are running and warmed up.

I hit the website....wasn't very clear on a heater type system for parking over night and plugging the engine heater in.

When I was doing OTR... I put the Artic Fox in the tanks on the Pete and have the system on the one I have now as well. I wouldn't think of winter time driving without it.

But the problem comes for farmers that aren't idling over night to have fuel flow after extended period of time. And be able to "fire up".. that requires a different system that I don't believe Artic Fox offers.

billybob
Posted 12/20/2008 18:14 (#541370 - in reply to #541313)

I was under the impression that the gov. makes truckers shut down their eng. while parked overnight and that new trucks have portable generators for the drivers while the truck motor is shut down.  Does the portable generator also keep the fuel warm?
Greywolf
Posted 12/20/2008 18:21 (#541375 - in reply to #541370)

Aberdeen MS
I think that is a California statute...but I won't swear to it.

Some of the generators on trucks do circulate coolant to keep the engine warm which would probably then be able to be plumbed into the tank heater as well.

Last I checked into the generator (around 18 yrs ago right before I quit OTR), they were north of $5K and added around 800 pounds if memory serves me correctly.

In a person parks for an extended period of time.....SOMETHING has to stay running to keep the fuel warm above wax/cloud point if it isn't blended/treated for cold weather unless an electric type heater can work for the fuel tanks. But even then....the lines will close off before the tanks will.
jakescia
Posted 12/20/2008 18:36 (#541387 - in reply to #541375)
Subject: I just ordered some Espar coolant heaters, and cab heaters..........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

They run off the batteries for spark, and pull diesel from the tank for fire, and use that to heat the engine coolant, and cab (two separate units).

They are on timers..........set the timers for 3AM, and have warm motors by 6AM.

HOWEVER.............that still begs the issue of the diesel fuel gelling..........and that is my primary problem.

I'm trying to find some 12v heat tape to make some fuel filter "jackets"-------if I cannot find any........and that is appearing to be the case........I will most likely bend over and buy the Arctic Fox filter jackets.

I'm still interested in pursuing the comments much further below about using a warm motor to heat a cold one, by merely hooking radiator hoses together temporarily-------that would solve the problem for the farm tractors sitting out overnight.........but not the fuel gelling problem.

davpal
Posted 12/20/2008 18:52 (#541402 - in reply to #541265)

Mid Michigan
How about one of those KATS brand magnetic block heaters? I guess if the tanks are aluminum that wouldn't stick on. Might have to make a holder for it. I would think they could keep a tank of fuel warm enough to not gell. Maybe not. TSC sells them.
Greywolf
Posted 12/20/2008 19:19 (#541440 - in reply to #541387)

Aberdeen MS
It could Jake. The Artic Fox Chris mentions is just a stainless closed loop tube in a "L" shape that is mounted in the tank. Uses coolant circulated through it to keep fuel warm. After getting the engine warmed up... switch it to the tanks. I bit of a hassle no doubt, but possible to be "doable".

Still doesn't do much for the lines tho.. 12 V heat tape could work the lines if it's a product that's available.

Artic Fox is great for when running in areas that change drastically quickly. 500 miles in one day takes one from Kansas City to Minneapolis. One can easily go from good "fuel weather" to " OH S**T weather" when fuel is concerned.

I loved it for running up into Canada coming from FL. Saved a lot of hassles.
iseedit
Posted 12/20/2008 19:44 (#541480 - in reply to #541440)
Subject: Re: These are 12 V or 120 V ect . . .

central - east central Minnesota -

These are what I was thinking - as you say, the website doesn't specificlly say, but if a guy could plug it in for fuel and could they be used on plastic tanks ? 

http://www.arctic-fox.com/sitepages/pid55.php  or this one ?

http://www.arctic-fox.com/sitepages/pid21.php

I guess a guy would have to call and see which of their product would work for the application. I have a plastic hydro oil tank and plastic fuel tanks on my skidsteer - I wonder how their products would work on those? Also the plastic  fuel tank on my MX150 - which product for that. I'd want 120v for the overnight timer plan . .  .

supercub
Posted 12/20/2008 19:57 (#541500 - in reply to #541402)

SC Montana where General Custer should've stopped
Our semi has a thermo star on it and it heats the fuel with out the truck even running. Can be set on a timer so it is all warmed up a few hours before you head out to truck-awesome. Was already on the semi when we bought it from our neighbor who bought the truck new.
Fierce Sparrow
Posted 12/20/2008 21:14 (#541592 - in reply to #541500)

Francis Creek, Wi.
I've fabricated my own fuel tank, hydraulic reservoir tank, and even one engine oil pan heater a number of times over the years. Go to your local plumber and see if you can buy a weld on bung to accept the heating element from an electric hot water heater. If you can't find one, salvage one from a junk hot water heater. I generally braze it into the tank on the bottom on hydraulic tanks or oil pans. On fuel tanks I generally use one of the blank holes that are capped. One time in a fuel tank, I had to braze the bung in the top. Then just buy a sand hog hot water heater element (low density) in the wattage you desire ( I usually use a 1500 watt). Use an electric timer (like for Christmas tree lights) to turn it on and/or off. After a little experimenting, you will figure out how long it needs to be on to obtain the desired results. Wire it up to 110 volts. Always make sure you have it totally immersed (keep the tank full when in use). Seems to work pretty slick.
ridgeroad
Posted 12/20/2008 22:09 (#541666 - in reply to #541387)
Subject: RE: I just ordered some Espar coolant heaters, and cab heaters..........

the fuel filter on my freightliner is the style that has a clear bowl and when the fuel level gets to the top it is time to change. Anyway, it is wired into the harness so when you plug in the block heater the filter also stays warm. cant think of what it is called exactly, have to do some looking but I think it is rather common.
w'burg
Posted 12/20/2008 22:43 (#541730 - in reply to #541666)
Subject: RE: DAVCO...

Marengo, Ia.
you have a DAVCO fuel filter. I also have one in my Freightliner. Mine has a 12v element on a themostat and a 120v that is on when my block heater is plugged in. Ony time my truck gelle up was when the 12v element went bad. I've been down to -10 numerous times.
runningbehind
Posted 12/21/2008 00:08 (#541811 - in reply to #541265)

NC ND
Most of the ideas are already mentioned throughout the post, but the Webb or Davco filter is really what
will solve the problem the best for a farmer. 110 volt heater on the fuel filter will get the truck started
down into really cold -10 to -30 temperatures. 12 volt will work if you have a charger, really run the
batteries down quick if the truck ain't running. Once engine is warm it is good to go.

A step up is the proheat or Espar coolant heater, but you have to have it going before the temp drops,
or the fuel cools down. Good if you use the truck fairly steady. Then it needs to be paired with the
fuel tank heater or heated filter. Been told they will never gell if left running, hasn't
worked for mine, but newer ones may work better. Small fuel line they use is part of the problem, I do
know my proheat won't start up cold below 10 degrees.

One thing to keep in mind with the fuel tank tubes, always a rumor floating around of someone who
has had one crack and antifreeze in the fuel. Never met anyone personally, but hear of a friend of
a friend type rumor.
Traveling Man
Posted 12/21/2008 04:26 (#541877 - in reply to #541811)
Subject: Re: Diesel automotive furnice

Finland, up there in north where noboby farms!
http://www.eberspacher.com/products/water-heating/technology-in-det...

These are standard thing here whit diesel cars for preheat and keep engine temperature up during cold weather. Also lot of these on the trucks, trackhoes, backhoes, pick-ups, tractors, motorhomes, etc.

Will heat engine---cab----and fuel (if you have water to fuel heater), but they need to have running diesel fuel to run! We have winter or arctic fuel, so it is not a problem to run it from tank to the filter. Filter might be problem whit out preheat on very cold weather.

In a Siberia they start logging tractors in a fall.....and keep them running......the whole winter....

Edited by Traveling Man 12/21/2008 04:29
hillfarmer
Posted 12/21/2008 07:32 (#541892 - in reply to #541877)
Subject: Re: Diesel automotive furnice

inline 120 volt heater

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14278-RACOR-NOMAD-FUEL-HEATER-BIO-DI...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)