AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

young farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

cjd12000
Posted 1/18/2018 18:00 (#6515106 - in reply to #6515061)
Subject: RE: young farmer

candor ny
I milked 32 and worked fulltime went to 70+ and did that full time for 5 1/2 years. Rented a barn under impression I would get to buy but was only offered barn and some woods little pasture for more then I could bail and get out of it by to much went back to 32 and work full time not sure where I am going next from here. Took a Lely tour and have designed a barn for a robot and am thinking if I want to keep dairy farming where I am at this might be the way I go. Work fulltime and let robot do the milking have some feed made through custom chopping and make some myself. The biggest thing I learned from that tour is only one farm relied on milk for 100% of income and they milked 2500ish in a parlor and 200 going to 400+ in robot barn that was a refurbish. All the rest had beef or custom work and crops or hogs for additional revenue so if they don't see a future just milking even with the investment they put in it not sure how many others can. Sorty if that's not much help but its just my view on things and even though I am bitter about the whole rented farm deal it looks like it was a blessing in disguise because i make good money at job with potential to make better in short term milking not so much.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)