AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Agleader planter question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/17/2018 07:55 (#6511216 - in reply to #6510401)
Subject: RE: Agleader planter question

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
If I understand you correctly, the planter is currently setup with hydraulic drives controlled by Ag Leader's Hydraulic Drive Module. It also has Tru-Count clutches which require an air compressor with air valve boxes and an Ag Leader Clutch Control Module. The display is an Integra which comes with auto swath unlocked. There is a switch box and the Auxiliary Input Module with the associated wiring to tie this altogether. You intend to get GPS from the same source as your Pro 700. This sounds very workable and I believe you have all the pieces necessary.

I also understand that you are concerned about using the Tru-Count clutches and would rather have the Clutch Control Module Stop the hydraulic drives instead of using the Tru-Count clutches . You are willing to give up the flexibility of having the planter split up in several sections for the added reliability of just 3 sections by stopping an appropriate drive.

Supposing the above is all true, there is a way to do this. I'm not advocating or encouraging this. It would not be supported by Ag Leader. I'm quite certain Ag Leader would discourage this but it has been done. It would require that the user be somewhat the adventurous type. You seem to have a good grasp of the parts and pieces that you have.

Several years ago when I was working as at Tech, a fellow AgTalker proposed a plan whereby the Clutch Control Module might be used to in effect shut off the drives for the operator based on auto swath. He did not want to purchase clutches for a particular planter and felt that since he had two drives that just using them would be an improvement. He would not have the seed savings and would have more double planting than using smaller sections but felt that was acceptable.

He proposed the idea to me and I agreed that I would attempt an adapter cable that could be inserted into the system but removed without damaging or changing anything so the system could operate as original in case the plan failed. This adapter cable utilized the output from the clutch module to in effect shut off the drive switch(es) at the appropriate time so that he would not need to do that manually.

I had access to the various connectors, electronic components and the wiring patterns. I just conferred with him last week to refresh my memory on how we did this. He said it is still working fine. I was asked by another AgTalker about this possibility and wanted to get my story straight. I am no longer employed as a Tech due to retirement so I don't have access to the components anymore.

If you are wish to discuss this further, contact me via email. Mine address is in my profile.

But with all this being said, I wouldn't be terribly afraid of the Tru-Count clutches. When Ag Leader first came out with the concept, they used Tru-Count clutches since they were also made in Ames and were in production. The Tru-Count folks had a manual switch box that they had been using. This required considerable operator intervention at times.

I installed Tru-Counts on the planter I had at that time along with Ag Leder's Clutch Control Module. The Insight was current at that time. The planter was a 12 row Deere 1760 that I had converted to the ProDrive cable drive system. This meant that the Tru-Count clutches were mounted on the planting units rather than on the seed shaft. That system worked well for me for several years. I always removed the clutches each year and disassembled them for cleaning. This did take some time but really didn't require any parts. Since mine were mounted externally they were quite easy to remove.

I felt that the weak point with the air system was the compressor and the early wiring. I mounted my compressor on the tractor. That way it was close to the tractor battery and also the air intake for the compressor could be in the cab with me. Thiu it had good power and relatively clean air. I wired in a relay so the load of the compressor was handled by it. The air pressure switch that was provided only needed to toggle the relay rather than the entire load of the air compressor.

Edited by tedbear 1/17/2018 08:59
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)