AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planter fertilizer swath control?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 1/17/2018 08:33 (#6511289 - in reply to #6510362)
Subject: RE: Planter fertilizer swath control?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
If you have Direct Command with a Liquid Module you can use it with auto swath which could cycle your three-way valves. The system will require a flow meter. A flow meter could be inserted in your line leading to the valves and would indicate correctly when all sections are ON. Auto swath could cycle the section valves for you.

There would be some confusion and possible alarms when auto swath cycled a section OFF which in this case would direct some flow back to the tank. This return path should have some type of restricting valve so the return path provides the same amount of resistance as the normal path to the ground. Confusion could arise when the system shuts off or redirects the flow for half of the planter. The system will be expecting that the flow would be cut in half but with 3-way valves the flow would remain the same and the system will sound a rate alarm unless it is set to MANUAL. If the system were set in Manual rather than Rate 1 or Rate 2, no alarm should sound but the flow meter would still be necessary.

I don't believe there is a way to tell the Liquid module that no flow meter is present and just perform as auto swath. If a Clutch Control module were present for seed clutches, it would be possible to piggyback the fertilizer valves on with it. This would involve a little trickery with some relays and diodes but should be possible. If only two seed sections were used it would be simple.

With my own planter I have a ground driven fertilizer pump but have no fertilizer valves. All rows get fertilizer whenever the planter is lowered to the planting position. I use Ag Leader's Application Rate Module to monitor the rate but it has no section or control functions.

Granted I have double fertilizer on overlap but since I'm applying at a low rate, doubling it doesn't cause me any harm. It may be a waste of fertilizer dollars but it isn't really lost completely.

You say you've never used Direct Command but have used auto swath. I'm curious where auto swath was used possibly for yield monitoring in a combine?

Edited by tedbear 1/17/2018 08:51
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)