AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Calculating Corn/Soybeans Seed Needs
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FamousLee
Posted 1/15/2018 23:25 (#6508550)
Subject: Calculating Corn/Soybeans Seed Needs

Ossian, IN
How do you calculate how many bags/acre or units/acre you need for corn and soybeans. We run twin row 30s in both corn and soybeans. We've been in the 36k range on corn...however haven't seen any benefit yet and would like to tone it down to may 34...32? And then in soybeans, we've been around 175-180k range, but same deal, do we need to be that high or does the 160-165 range work better.

Previously dad had always done the math and basically dealt with the dealer/co-op for me, but now in my 6th year, I want to go with a different brand and while he's given me the numbers, I'd like to be able to calculate for the future. Getting him to talk and give answers is a challenge sometimes as I don't think he wants to spread his knowledge because he doesn't want to be replaced? I can be around when he's filling the liquid in the planter or when spraying, and I don't get the explanations of why we are doing this and how to do it.

At the 36k range for corn, we are figuring around 14 bags to do 30-31 acres. At the 175-180k range for beans, it was calculated at 80-85 bags/units so do 57-58 acres. So what's the formula to figure it?

I'm not dealing with big acres, but this is something I need to learn.

Sorry for the long post, but Thank you!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)